In HBT way, understanding a user story involves understanding the below EIGHT points about the user story,
- Why – what are we solving? What is the expected benefit to the user?
- Who – who is the user story meant for? What is the background of the user/usage?
- How much – volume, concurrency, frequency of usage? Perception of importance?
- How – Understand the business logic and implementation details.
- What – collaboration with other user stories and systems
- Where – deployment environment and constraints, users situation/constraints.
- When – System states and pre-requisites (pre-conditions for the usage)
- Is it? – Acceptance criteria, functional and non-functional.